Full time. Part Time. Seasonal.
Construction. Repairs. Ranch Maintenance. Odd Jobs
The Serengeti Foundation seeks full time, and part-time individuals to join our Infrastructure Team. This position will be based out of Engler Canyon Ranch Mustang Sanctuary in southeast Colorado.
About Serengeti Foundation: The Serengeti Foundation is a 501c3 nonprofit that is grounded in a “do no harm” ethic, and functions as stewards for large working landscapes in partnership with wildlife. We strive to maintain a positive public appearance through careful hiring practices and strict employment standards.
About Engler Canyon Ranch: Located near Trinchera, CO, this 22,000 acre project provides freedom and sanctuary for wildlife in need. This location is a model for non-exploitive relationships with the animal life around us.
Engler Canyon Ranch is home to a herd of 127 wild born mustangs and burros, in addition to the abundant wildlife that we work to protect. We passively work with our wild herds, allowing them autonomy and true sanctuary within the safety of our perimeter fence. We do not allow breeding, or inhumane suffering, and are careful to respect the land and indigenous wildlife. We are a working preservation that collaborates within our team and outside partners in a mission to leave the land and animal partnerships better than when we received it.
Our herd: The majority of our herd is free range and free forage, typically requiring minimal care, but consistent observation. Our Medical Pasture serves as a temporary placement for incoming and low weight mustangs. Assistance with daily feeding and water checks may be required. Our infrastructure team primarily works outside of the public eye, but occasional interactions with guests, officials, and tour groups are expected. A professional attitude towards fellow staff, guests and volunteers, in addition to the public is paramount for longterm employment. We hope to inspire other land stewards and projects as a model for non-exploitive, compassionate care.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Construction of new infrastructure including housing, animal shelters, community projects, and the repair and maintenance of existing infrastructure
- Site preparation, demolition, and trash removal
- Repair and installation of fences, water lines, irrigation, and ranch infrastructure
- Operating farm and construction machinery (tractor, skid steer, backhoe, and forklift onsite)
- Overseeing the food and water of our Medical Pasture and chickens as required
- Monitoring the wild herd, forage quality, and fence lines
- Farm duties including seeding, haying, grading, shredding, and others
- Basic electrical, plumbing and fixture installation
- Assistance with supply runs and transports as needed
- Strong work ethic
- Committed to the goals and mission of the Serengeti Foundation and its projects.
- Quick learner
- High level of initiative and a desire to excel
- Keen observation skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in all weather conditions (cold, wind, and hot/humid conditions)
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting.
- Ability to work independently, and as a team
- Ability to multi-task
- Responsive to spontaneous needs
- Clean and orderly
- Clear, respectful communicator
- Professional in comportment and appearance
- Reliable and dependable
- Trustworthy and honest
- Ability to perform in a dynamic, ever-changing environment
- Patient and compassionate towards animals
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience with operating machinery, or an eagerness to learn
Compensation & Specifications:
- Full time – Salary position of $32,500. Onsite accommodations can be negotiated for the right candidate. Employment standards and housing agreements (if living on site) are required. Personally owned RV’s may be moved to the property for private accommodations with approval
- Part-time – $15 an hour (starting wage) with employment standards agreement. Personally owned RV’s may be moved onto the property for private accommodations with employment standards agreement.
- Positions available immediately, with preference given to full-time candidates or those that can commit to a minimum of 4 days a week.
- A work week is Monday to Sunday. Days and hours will be set upon hire.
Candidates should send resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, ECR is located in a remote location. The nearest town is Trinidad, CO (grocery stores, restaurants, shops, hospital) and is 37 miles away.
Serengeti Foundation | Working style and Environment:
Our “do no harm” philosophy means we respect all life, and do not allow or support the intentional killing or exploitation of animals, outside of approved euthanasia and rare instances of harm mitigation. Employees and guest shall follow these guidelines while on the property:
- Maintain a professional and respectful decorum with team members, guests, and the public.
- Drug and party free campus
- Must abide by a clean and respectful living standard
- Approved pets may be considered on a case by case basis.
- Private living in an RV with full hook up is available.
- Meals – If staying in the communal accommodation provided by the Serengeti Foundation, excess eggs from our laying hens may be consumed, but the house is otherwise vegetarian, vegan preferred.
- Opportunity to contribute to the largest privately operated wildlife preservation in Colorado
- Opportunity to gain valuable experience with construction, project management, machine operating and regenerative agriculture
- Opportunity to learn about land stewardship, conservation, and habitat restoration
- Enjoy a beautiful, inspiring work environment
- Enjoy collaborating with other like-minded groups
To Learn More Please Visit: